Monday, 22 August 2011

The sheer incomparable rage

After at least an hour of searching, I managed to rediscover my long lost age of empires III CD. Yeah, you read that right- CD.

I'll just let that sink in.

We've got about 3gig of data spread between these 3 CD's, a DVD would of been nice. It's been such a long time that I've even used a CD or a DVD to install a game that this came as a huge shock. The sort of shock that rivals the "HOLY SHIT SAMUS WAS A CHICK THIS WHOLE TIME?" kind of intensity.

The first time I tried to install this game, it hung on the last MP3 of the last disc- so I had to re-install. However, I stand triumphant on my second attempt- discs everywhere and a nearly broken spirit, but I made it. Time for some AoEIII I hear you cry? Well, no as a matter of fact. It turns out that I've got to patch the game, now I can't really complain here if I didn't have to patch this game it would of shown a tremendous lack of care for the online community. Sort of what happened to TF2 on the consoles, but that doesn't matter IT DIDN'T BELONG ON CONSOLES ANYWAY!

So after the patch, myself and a friend of mine were eager to start (finally) playing. We create the game lobby, tweak the options exactly how we like them. Then boom. Something called a CRC mismatch. After a little digging it turns out this error rears its ugly head when two or more people try to play a game together and they don't have the same version. It would of been prudent to mention that we both installed this game TODAY, no mods, no editing the config files or anything. Ergo, we've both got exactly the same version of this game. Yet, it decides not to work regardless of this fact. A few VERY old forum posts suggest that we re-install.

As it goes, I'm currently doing exactly that. I'll edit this post to tell everyone exactly how it goes down. Or out the window depending on the result.



No comments:

Post a Comment