Thursday, 4 August 2011

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Part Twelve- Alas, poor adoring fan! I knew him, Bethesda

I've completed countless side quests at this point, mainly to get enough cash to buy loads of alchemy related business. Once you get that to level 100, you can make a potion out of one ingredient. This pretty much gives you the ability to have infinite money forever. There's two reasons why I'm writing about very few of the side quests, whilst they are fun they're not particularly interesting in any way- from a writing stand point. Also, if I were to write about all my quests. This LP would go on a lot longer than it already will.

I've got about 2 side quests I want to write about before we get locked into the main story line. One of them is more of a situation I ran into whilst on a side quest, not the quest itself. Now, we all remember the adoring fan- the best character in the entire game. I normally use him to help all my loot whilst exploring, I ran into a particularly nasty cave when playing though another side quest, full of spriggans. My adoring fan was following me carrying a vast amount of loot, and we ran into one of the aforementioned beasts and it seemed VERY interested in my fan, and not the guy shooting lightning out of his eyes. The spriggan struck him down with one blow, and I finished it off. After a moment of reflection, I realised I didn't even know this kids name. He's dead. He had a family, maybe and girlfriend and looked about 12. He's been helping me for quite a long time and now he's gone forev- oh, I get another one? Sweet. Guess it doesn't matter that I left his clone rotting inside a random cave then.

I believe I've said before, the Dark Brotherhood quest line is my favourite in the entire game. In interest of time (again) I'm only going to gloss over one of them. I wouldn't necessarily call this my favourite part of the quest line- but it's the most interesting to write about. If you're curious, my favourite part of the quest line is “The assassinated man” where you need to help someone fake their own death to escape some unsavoury characters. It's just a very interesting and fun quest to play, unique in comparison to every other “go here, do this” quest you pick up.

The quest I'm going to write about however, in more detail at least, is “Whodunit?” It is, of course as awesome as it sounds.

Before I get into the meat of the quest, there's one point about the Dark Brotherhood storyline that could be slightly improved, just with dialogue- Bethesda dialogue at that.
You've got no real reason to assassinate your targets, bar just being told to do it. Quest rewards, in the form of money or items simply isn't enough if you wish to role play a character. If there were just a few extra dialogue options, telling me what they had done and why our client wanted them assassinated. Adding something as simple as this could greatly increase the depth of the world.

Now, onto the quest itself. We're tasked with assassinating the entire contents of a mansion in Skingrad, a man greets us outside- called Fafnir. He tells us we have the same mother, a not so subtle hint that he knows we're here to kill everyone. Obviously Bethesda assumed we wouldn't of got that very well hidden clue as to Fafnir's allegiance we loudly states that we're here to kill everyone. Smooth, I know. The house party has 5 members, not including myself. Each of them have preferences toward another, for example Dovesi Dran has got the hots for Primo and this can be used to the player advantage, getting Dovesi in a room alone for example. This, to my knowledge is the only quest that offers such a large array of dispatching your targets. I won't get into detail about how I did it, because of time constraints. I will however, write about how I killed one of the party goers- just to give you a general idea of how the quest works.

The first person you run into is a old lady named Matilde Petit, I fill her pockets full of coin until she is ready to tell me what she really thinks about the other people at the party. It turns out she likes Primo & Neville dislikes Dovesi & nels. I can't really do that much with this information at the minute, so I decide to throw more gold at the dark elf- Dovesi. As we know, she likes Primo- so we tell her that he likes her too and that she should wait in his room. Giving us the perfect opportunity to kill her, without any witnesses. There is of course no “right” way to do this quest, but I favour manipulating the guests based on their views of the other people in the house. Simply put, this quest is fun, funny, creative, interesting and more or less unique.

Alas, I shan't be completing any more side quests. It's the main story from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment