Monday, 1 August 2011

Oblivion: The Elder Scrolls. Part Eight- Dear Diary

At this point in the game, I'm level 10 and nothing has happened plot wise I can't be dealing with this “plot” people keep telling me about, I've just picked up one of the “almost there” quests I've ran into in previous playthroughs. I believe it's called “A brotherhood betrayed” It's about some poor bloke that's been killed by a vampire hunter, because he thinks he's a vampire. The circumstances surrounding his death are strange at best. I'm tasked with having stunted awkward conversations with various NPC's around town until I find the whereabouts of this so called vampire hunter. I'm lead to a tavern where people have seen him, and I ask the owner where he's got to.

Apparently he won't share that information with me until I'm his friend, to avoid the terrible, terrible mini game that is speechcraft I throw bribes at his face until his disposition is maxed out. It hits 68 and that's that. No higher. I guess it's time to go learn a couple of spells to persuade him further, and I wish that included shooting lightning out of my eyes. Spoiler warning, it doesn't.

So, I use “seductive charm” on a man I really wouldn't want to seduce and he tells me where the vampire hunter is staying. He also gives me the key to his room, I guess a back rub does go a long way. I've managed a find a very badly hidden dairy in the vampire hunters room, it speaks of a adventure club he used to be part of. They found this item and each of them took a key, the idea being the last person alive would have all the keys and could obtain the item. Like that one Simpson’s episode.

At this point, it starts to look very shaking that the man accused of being a vampire was a vampire at all. It turns out that the other members of this club has been hunted down as vampires too. The city watch saw the vampire hunter heading into a cave called Boreal stone cave. Before I make the 5 or so minute journey to that cave, I wanted to bitch about something I've already complained about once before. The world is so god damn empty. I think this is why I find it so hard to role play in this game. There's no interesting character interaction, no random events (that I've seen) and the environment, as pretty as it is, repeats itself over and over again.

I'm here at the cave, surprisingly it looks just like every other cave. This orc bastard tells me he was an idiot for leaving that journal around- and I agree with a fireball to the face. Why he wrote down his master plan in the first place is beyond me. I can only imagine it went something like this.

Sundas, heartfire 16, 3E433

Oh. My. Gosh. I've got this totally awesome plan, you're NOT going to believe it journal. Me and my EX-best friends hid this super cute locket in a chest a few years back. We locked it up tight with 3 separate locks. The game is that after one of us dies, that lock gets unlocked. The last person alive gets the treasure! It's the most morbid fun I can think of.

Anyway, I can't write much more. I have to go pretend to be a vampire hunter and kill my friends- claiming they're vampires so I can get their keys! I guess I could just break the chest open, but I've already bought my fake ID. Murder it is.

Gee, I sure hope no one finds this. TTL journal.

XXX

Here's the quest really takes a turn for the worst, you open the chest and the contents is rather disappointing, it's just some crappy necklace. If the quest ended there it would have been perfect. 2 innocent people and one not so innocent person died for this measly locket. That is a good story, but sadly it's not the case. The game feels it has to reward you in some way, so you take the locket to the dead guys wife and she claims it has hidden powers that only she can invoke. Hey presto the locket did secretly have magick powers! If Bethesda just cut out this last part to the quest it would have been a personal favourite of mine.

I know a few paragraphs ago I sort of called this game shit, just without those exact words. That is most definitely not the case. Those things only become apparent to me when I'm exploring. The city’s do feel as alive as anywhere populated by Bethesda voice actors could be. For me, the good outweighs the bad here.

No comments:

Post a Comment