Saturday, 20 August 2011

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Part Sixteen- Martin got his wish.

After I eventually found myself talking to the countess (again) to inform her of our brilliant plan that makes sense and should never be questioned, she responds in a way I'm sure all of you could never of guessed- it's almost as if this particular quest was wrote by M. Night. Shyamalan himself.


The countess tells us that she hates the plan and would never endanger the lives of her people to obtain a relic that may not even- Oh? She wants to do it?! Oh God damn it Bethesda. This is painful, it's so stupid it's painful. The countess and I head over to the chapel to speak to Martin- who is still set on trying to get himself killed. We're given 3 choices in terms of dialogue here, we can either gather more allies, charge in as we are or claim we're not ready yet (a lot like gathering more allies isn't it?) In the interest of time, I decide not to gather any more allies- I can totally Rambo this thing anyway. As we leave Bruma to enter the Oblivion gate, we're once again greeted by a very Bethesda cheer. I speed off to the quest marker, it's taking these guys as long as it took me to summon up the will to write part 16 to walk. Once there, I'm told by the quest log I need to protect Martin until the great gate opens up. My mission appears to be protect Martin from his own stupidity until enough normal Oblivion gates open up to spawn the big bad gate.


I do exactly that, Ramboing through everything the first gate throws at me. Then accidentally killing Martin with an over powered AOE spell I created.


Whoops.


Time for round 2 then, I don't think I'll be using that spell again. This is exactly why Martin shouldn't come along here, there's no need for it what so ever. If the wanted to turn this entire quest into an escort quest then fine, but why Martin? Simply from a plot standpoint it makes no sense at all to bring him along.


After protecting lord idiot for what felt like forever, the final gate opens up- it's worth noting that I've never got this far in the game before, so I'm calling it right now. I think this last gate will be exactly like the other planes of Oblivion I've been into, but longer. The final gate opens, I step inside and I'm somewhat surprised, it's not exactly the same- and it even looks shorter. It's not unique by any means though. It's more of a gauntlet than anything else, a free XP slalom.


Before I get into what goes down in the Oblivion gate (BET YOU CAN'T GUESS) there's something I wanted to say about the defending Martin quest. I would of found it easier if it was just me, with all these mooks running round getting in my way, I think I may of even killed Jauffre- I guess the plot doesn't need him now. I find this happens in pretty much every Bethesda game I've played, I end up hating most of the companions and laugh when they die.


Next episode- What I hope is the games last fetch quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment