Friday, 30 October 2015

Let's Play: SOMA Part 4 - Oh, hello

It's been a little while since I've uploaded, or even recorded anything, work has been kinda cray cray. Don't worry though, the lack of content is nothing to do with not wanting to record- just not having time to do so. I literally haven't even been on my computer, hence the not streaming too - if anyone even knew I did.





Another apology to start with on this video, hopefully it'll be the last. I've pretty much got everything under control in terms of how you get this recording business down. As explained at the start of the video, the frame rate issues were down to not recording to the correct HDD- it caused slowdown and I confused it with the reported frame rate issues this game has.

You know what to do, click Mr. Mays for a spoliery discussion of this episode.



So it seems that the technology in this world does mirror the episode of Doctor Who I was referring to, the rebel flesh. People get into some science machine, then remotely jack into a robot and control it. Obviously, something has gone wrong and forced this people out of their bodies and into the robots, or universal helpers - as they're called. Obviously the gentleman we speak to - Carl Semkin - doesn't know he's a robot, and furthermore is adamant he's human. He clearly feels pain & attempts to emote in human ways. Obviously though, he's a robot. If I had to make a guess, I'd say he's just seeing what he wants to see, because the truth is just absolutely impossible to believe. A pretty clear connection to the trauma that our main man has been dealing with.

The main goal for this episode was to speak to the young lady we have a brief conversation with in the episode prior. You can easily skip most of the episode, to the point where that actually gets done, and miss nothing of vital importance. However, along the way in our exploration of the facility we do find a lot of interesting tidbits via emails in particular, but the environment in general too. These are the reasons games that focus on exploration are always so interesting to me - you're rewarded for looking. It might not be a reward in the sense of a power up, or a resource - but a story point. Not one you need to grasp the larger, more important elements of the plot but interesting side stories or just facts that make the place feel lived in. For example, in the area we find Amy's sketch book you learn quite a few interesting things just from poking around in that corner.

You discover that:


  • Amy likes to draw, or sketch to the point she has an entire book dedicated to it.
  • Amy is possibly the person that has been leaving the drawings around the other locations we've explored, a reason why these are left is just as important as the fact that they exist in the first place.
  • Amy and Carl are in some kind of relationship & definitely Pathos buddies.
  • Amy and Carl have worked together on Pathos (the name of the entire mining operation) not just the Upsilon section/zone.
  •  Improvised sleeping areas were created. The size of the sleeping area, suggests that this particular set-up was for two people.

All of that information can be drawn from that tiny area of little to no importance. That is more of a reward - to me - than an XP cookie or a weapon upgrade.

A little down the line, we also hear Carl getting attacked via mind jacking then later find his body. This is pretty much 100% confirmation, to me, that in order to be transferred into a robot you need to be killed. The team working here have also been sealing everything up, to leave the place running on its own for a currently unknown reason.

None of this really speaks much to the larger story of Simon's brain damage, I think it's unrelated at this point.

I'm a little annoyed they threw a evil robot in towards the end of this episode, I had a nice exploring vibe going on before they threw him in. It did add tension, and I guess that's the point - but more than anything I just wanted to know what was waiting for me in the comms room. Once we actually get into the comms room, there's some pretty interesting data logs to listen to and what I can assume is a bit ol' lore dump waiting for me next episode. The only largely important detail from the audio logs is the rough timeline it gives us, ending with the plan to start sealing the place up on the 04/05/2103. 

No comments:

Post a Comment