Tuesday, 13 October 2015

Let's Play: SOMA Part 3 - Stick Your Finger Right in There

The next part of SOMA is here, there's only one more in the chamber - but I'll be recording another set of 4~ tomorrow. For those of you wondering why I keep saying "boop" when I press buttons, it's partly (and mostly) because it's fun, and just help me sync the audio. That is, until I find a better way of doing it. I apologize for the short episode, in both the video and now. I was recording to the hard drive I was running the game from like a complete Muppet so it was causing some slow down. I think, maybe now, all video problems have been addressed so hopefully from now on it'll be as smooth sailing as it can get.



Let's talk about the game a little more, follow my good friend Billy for spoilers from *this* particular video.




A huge part of the environment is covered in this weird virus/infection - but so far it only seems to be effecting machinery. Interestingly enough it appears to be biological in nature. I don't really fixate on this aspect too much in my commentary, it's only after I watch the video back and type up these posts I really get into the possible meaning of the smallest details.

It may be a little on the nose, and I may also be assuming too much about the themes of the game but I'd be remiss to not mention the clear nature VS man/machine vibe I get from this. We know that Upsilon is a plant that's generating power, we've yet to find out what "kind" of power and by what means it's generating it. This, plus the fact we know there's evil sentient robots floating about points to nature taking something back. I hope I'm wrong, I'm a little tired of this trope and I'd be interested to see it be a part of the story, but a mostly irrelevant one.

Another interesting thought that reaffirms my belief about this entire world being conjured by Simon's dying/dead brain is that after he sticks his finger into what can only be described as Cthulhu's anus is the way it changes Simon's ability to interact with the environment. Before he sticks his finger in it the room he is in (or the part of his psyche he's exploring/repairing) is hostile. The buttons are sparking with electricity due to damage and attempting to press them turns the lights off hurts Simon. After (for almost no reason) putting his finger into a foreign place the room remains dark, but no longer hurts him. It has been repaired, but not fully. Simon himself even says "It doesn't hurt anymore"

"It doesn't hurt anymore" is an interesting phrase here, I'm not sure if it's referring to the recent electric shock or "it" in a larger sense, as in his physical being - his head. Perhaps meaning that what he has done here, translates into the real world as finding a part of the optimal successful treatment we've been told about. I choose to believe it's the latter, not just because I'm bending evidence to suit my theory, but because "It doesn't hurt anymore" and the way it's spoken doesn't sit right with me if it's simply referring to being shocked. However, If my theory is to hold any water we will need to talk about the robot we find a few minutes later, doing exactly what Simon was doing moments before and what it means.

When I first stumbled upon the robot drinking the electricity I assumed I had a choice. I thought I had the option of saving the robot at the cost of my well being, or disconnecting it from the power source to save/help myself. It turns out that I did not have any choice at all, the seemingly innocent non hostile robot absolutely had to die for me to continue. I feel like, assuming this was a story and not a game, if I left it alone it would of eventfully went insane and turned into one of the evil robots. The bad ones seem to have this strange virus all over their body and *appear* to be made of the little helper robots. So in hindsight, all I did was stop an innocent robot from going insane, so I feel pretty good about that. The question is though, what is it about those things that's addictive, but ultimately bad for them and good for me. Or, I suppose it might not be good for me. Maybe I just think it is and I'll end up an addict too. Obviously, there's a big difference between me and a robot - a possible reason as to why it helps me and not them.

Interestingly enough, once we unplug the cables and talk to the first human(?) we've met in this world she doesn't seem particularly concerned that Simon hasn't a fucking clue as to where he is. It's already been established that memory, and more importantly losing it, is a major theme. So it could just be playing into that, and these questions may come later under the guise of a more stable connection to chat on. Or, as I said in the video maybe she just thinking I'm dicking around. Either way, I'm very interested about any follow up questions this lady is going to have for Simon.

Right towards the end of the episode we find a robot that managed speak in full sentences, perhaps one that has become fully aware - but not yet insane? That really interested me - but sadly my idiocy forced the recording to stop so that'll have to wait until part 4.

This episode sends a couple of good spooks my way, mainly due to atmosphere and a good solid build up. There is a jump or two, but mainly due to me not paying attention or falling off of shit. This is basically how horror needs to be done in video games. Jump scares in moves lose effectiveness after about 4-5 times in a 2 hour period, forcing a whole bunch of jump scares over a 8-15 hour period is just god damn loathsome, I'm looking at you Dead Space 3.

Also, again, fucking LOVE that RGB split.

No comments:

Post a Comment