Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Killer is Dead: Nightmare Edition

Since my last post was such a wall of text, because I'm typing this clearly- just a steam of consciousness halted only by the squiggley reds that tell me I've spelled something like a plum duff. I have no idea where this is going, it's tagged as a review because I've tagged the post before I even started writing it- so who knows where we're going tonight.

I've spent my last weekend almost exclusively playing video games and did almost no house work. Otherwise known as living the dream. A little bit of Devil May Cry, Fable: Anniversary, World of Warcraft (You're never not an addict) League of Legends and of course Dark Souls: 2 - I'm going for all the achievements only have 3 left. I need to get my Bell Keepers covenant to max level (that's Player VS player stuff for those that don't know the game) I also need to get my Sun Bro's to max level (that's helping other people, for those that don't know) and complete the game on New game+ & get to a certain place on New game++ (Once more with feeling, you can keep the same character and carry to over to a new game with all the same stats, weapons and amour but the enemies are harder, do more damage, have more HP and in some cases have different moves.) There isn't a single day where I don't play Dark Souls 2, even after working 12 hours overtime.

To put it in context, I love that game to pieces and I can't wait to buy the DLC - after I've got all the achievements. However, after I started playing Killer is Dead I didn't play DS2. For one whole day, I didn't play my favorite game. Not even for ten minutes. I feel a Dark Souls 2 post coming along at some point too- but that's for another day. Regardless, Killer is Dead.

TLDR: The combat is great, easy to learn and hard to master with enough difficultly settings for the truly sadistic. the story is Suda51 (I don't understand it beyond the basic premise), the mini game for item upgrades is sexist and I don't get it. I feel this is Suda's best game yet.





Killer is Dead is made by Suda51 - for those of you that don't know, Suda 51 is insane. He is most famous for titles such as Killer 7, No More Heroes & Lollipop Chainsaw. Without wall of texting you with information about Suda I'll say this. His games are fucking weird, I don't understand most of the stories, they're hyper sexualized and completely off the wall. Describing them further would make them sound negative, it's a weird universe you need to immerse yourself in to enjoy. You need to forget everything you know about logic and just experience it. If I list the features and aspects without talking about game play it sounds dumb- and it is kinda dumb, but in that way that I love watching Schumacher's Batman & Robin kinda dumb.

Jesus fucking Christ, All of this and I haven't even spoken about Killer is Dead yet! Killer is dead is one of the best character action games I've ever played. It has a very very striking visual style, I don't really know how to describe it- the above image is a good indicator but only a video will do it justice I don't plan on covering this with Devyn or anything, so a quick YouTube search should satisfy the more curious of you. 


I absolutely love how it looks, but I will concede that a staple of this kind of series is fighting a bunch of mooks at once and the thing is when you've got about 5-6 enemies on the screen and it can be a bit of a clusterfuck. I'm honestly trying to understand the story, and I literally don't. As far as I can tell, I work for the government and I get hired to murder bad dudes or monsters. Thing is, people come to our company with contracts with targets. We're"paid" by the state, but the people that come to us need to pay for costs that cover what the state doesn't. Like disposing of the corpses for example. Seems like the entire thing is a shit show thought because no one seems to pay us and we just bill the state out of the ying anyway. There's more- a lot more, but fuck if I know what it is.


As for the game play, it's nice and hectic and perfectly dodging an attack is rewarded with a nice time slow down and a call vignetting that really makes you feel powerful for perfectly timing a dodge. You attack the one button, on the Xbox one controller I'm using it's X. The damage, speed and combos etc are all controlled by the speed that you mash it and circumstances you're in when you press them. It's basic enough for new players to understand and feel powerful when playing, but up the difficulty and the ol' easy to learn hard to master phrase comes to mind same with all character action games really. There's plenty of Sub weapons to unlock- for the most part they're entirely optional you can only have 4 at any given time and the game will decide what ones you can have on each level- meaning that you won't miss a secret because you didn't select weapon Y but choose weapon X instead. That is a feature that I fucking love. Replaying levels because I want to is great, but being forced to do it so I can have something else I want is wrong.

To earn these Sub-weapons is a little strange, I don't really understand why it's done this way but it's all part and parcel I suppose. To earn these weapons, you need to complete the "beauties" side missions. These entail visiting various women and staring at their T/A when they aren't looking to build up your "guts" get enough guts and you can give them a present, give them the right/enough presents you unlock a reward. You also have a special pair of glasses that you can wear so you can see them in their underwear and get even more guts for staring. Get caught looking too much and you fail. Now, if this sounds weird and sexist it's because it is. Now, this isn't "necessary" per se. But honestly, who doesn't want upgrades? I mean seriously ask yourself this question then consider just how necessary this particular feature is going to be? Every time you glance at one of these women that most over acted porn moan gets played louder than all hell too. If I had any shame I'd be embarrassed to play this as loud as I do. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be ironic or what but it doesn't feel like it- it's pure titillation and just that is fine. Thing is, you need to do this to get upgrades to get an item, a commodity. Having sex with these women, or implied sex is literally a currency and that isn't okay with me. It's really the only major complaint I have with this game.

Aside from that, I highly recommend it. It's unreal how much I love this game and how much I think about playing it when I'm not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment