Monday, 25 January 2016

Dark Souls 2: SOFTS

As a few of you might know, I'm big into my Dark Souls. I love doing dumb challenge runs, I thoroughly enjoy getting the achievements and the false sense of superiority those give me certainly help. For those of you that don't know, Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is a re-release of Dark Souls 2. SOTFS contained some lore changes/clarifications shuffled around some enemy & item placements and included all 3 pieces of DLC. It's a shame that this version needs to exist in the first place, I'd of rather Dark Souls 2 of worked in the first place, or better yet another game of this style set in a different universe - Bloodbourne. Again, it's one of those situations where I'm happy it exists because if it didn't we'd of got a slightly less than ideal Souls game.

Getting Scholar was a pretty good deal for me, since I had never played any of the DLC. The upgrade to directx11 didn't really do much for me, it looked a little nicer but art design has always been Dark Souls strong point- not graphical fidelity. I briefly want to touch on the new boss fight that is added to the base game - the update that was added even if you didn't purchase the SOFTS. It's terrible. It's a really boring fight, lore wise - I'm really not too sure about what it added. Dark Souls 2 was always kinda a let down in regards to the story. It feels more like Dark Souls fan fiction, hopefully DS3 will solve some of the stranger story discrepancies that have cropped up due to DS2 pretty much rewriting how some core features in the story work.

I really enjoyed the departures that the DLC gave you from the main story, it does link into to the larger story a little bit - with many of the last bosses referencing events from the main game. It's refreshing to just experience these worlds that feel very Dark Souls. I know this has been a short one, but I've talked about DS to death- I just wanted to get my major thoughts on it out in the way in time for 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment