Saturday, 30 July 2011

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Part one- Haven't even started the game yet.

So, here we go this is my first “lets play” I've chosen to do on a game that I've never completed, much to my own shame. Elder scrolls IV: Oblivion. Before I get into what can only be described as a more or less a “blindish LP” I think it may be useful to say why I've never completed this game. It can be summed up in 2 simple words. Side quests.

For all the problems that this game has, and believe you me this game has them by the metric fuck tonne, the side quests are the main attraction for me in Oblivion, and indeed pretty much all Bethesda games. Bethesda's newer games, fallout 3 in particular, seem to suffer from the designers being worried you won't see all their cool content- consequently the game just dissipates into, well, nothing. As all the interesting stuff is front loaded onto the first 2-3 hours of the game. Fallout: New Vegas somewhat remedied this issue, but that's a completely different story. I've heard that this game is quite polarising, I've never met anyone that said it was “okay” you pretty get much people that will die defending this game, will all its flaws (do paint brushes with no physics, ring a bell?) or people that hate the game and give a vast ocean of (valid) reasons as to why. Normally I would defend this game to the death, but this time round I'm going to do my best to present both sides of the great Oblivion divide.

I'll often enjoy a bit of role-playing in my RPG's, but I've never role-played Oblivion before. I just don't feel that this game allows me to do it, I'm just not interested in the main story line.
Breaking a much honoured tradition of mine, and for lack of a better word other “gamers” I shan't be naming my character something awesomely terrible like Cock mongoloid or Meg Ryan. Okay, maybe I will. I'll give my character a chance though, it'll be abhorrent but not offensive. I'll use one of those fabled fantasy name generators. Rule is, the first one I find I have to use, and we've ended up with Isrisuir! Just rolls off the tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment