Sunday, 31 July 2011

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Part Four- In your secret passage way, killing your Emperors.

Skipping the tutorials and giant rats, that can destroy huge stone walls we reach the point where the Emperor asks us about our star sign, or rather what perk we want to take. For my star sign I'll choose the lady, a ten point increase in both willpower & endurance. On an unrelated note, this opening act is where most of problems with the game come to light. A huge immersion breaker for me here is how forced the dialogue is, say I want to role play a bad ass that doesn't care about anything but his escape, I can't. I'm forced to ask the Emperor “Aren't you afraid to die” my character doesn't care at all, or at least I don't want him to care.

Skip a few more rushes by those pesky Mystic dawn fellows and myself and the Emperor and left in a room together. For some reason the guards thought it would be a good idea to leave the Emperor with the person they wanted to kill 5 minutes ago under suspicion working with the assassins. The player is glued to spot whilst they helplessly watch the best voice actor, and Emperor in the game assassinated.
Barus checks the Emperor's foot and confirms the worst. He's dead.

Just before Picard passed away he gave us our first MacGuffin- the amulet of kings, and after rubbing the Emperor's foot Barus knows that he doesn't have it any more. Instead of doing the logical thing and accusing THE MAN THAT WAS IN PRISON of stealing it, he simply asks us where it is. I calmly explain to him that the Emperor gave it to us because I have to take it to his illegitimate son, by way of Jauffre. Barus believes everything I say hook line and sinker, it's not like I'm a prisoner and would say anything to be let off Scott free.

An interesting part of this game is that you don't get to decide your class up until now, they give you a taste of the main classes, mage, archer, thief and boring- I mean melee but you don't have to commit until say the 15-20 minute mark. I pretty much hate all the default cookie cutter classes and always build my own and it nearly always turns out exactly like a default class.

I choose magic as my combat specialization partly because of how over powered and fun it is, but mainly because the picture is freaking awesome.


For my first favored attribute I choose intelligence, due to the boost in total magicka and spell skills but for my second choice I was stuck between willpower or endurance. Willpower would be useful as I would be able to cast more spells, and regenerate my magicka faster. However more endurance will increase my health, and how much my health increases as I level up. More health means I can take more of a beating, and judging by how much of an ass I normally am in Bethesda games- it should prove very useful. That being said, I do plan to make a mage that could go firebolt to firebolt with Gandalf himself... Also, I feel bad for the post name too- dirty even.

Guess who's the Wizard?

No comments:

Post a Comment